The World’s Most Mesmerizing Abandoned Places

El Hotel del Salto 2

Photo Credit: Panaramio.com

hotel del salto waterfall

Photo Credit: moco-choco.com

It seems almost hard to believe that magnificent structures like these can become neglected and completely forgotten, though with nature reclaiming them, these abandoned places have also created some of the most awe-inspiring scenes on the planet. The once luxurious Hotel del Salto, pictured above, opened in 1928 to welcome wealthy travelers visiting the Tequendama Falls area of Colombia, sitting just opposite of the waterfall at the edge of the cliff. During the next decades, the river was contaminated and tourists gradually lost their interest. The hotel closed down in the early 1990s and was left abandoned ever since.

Casino Constanta, Romania

romania casinofirst

romania casino

romania casino2

romania casino3

Photo Credits: romainveillon.com

This abandoned casino in Constanta sits at the edge of the Black Sea in Romania. It was once a place where wealthy travelers and the elite flocked from across Europe to play and dance the night away in what used to be the most magnificent building in the entire country. Its changing fortunes in the face of two world wars saw the building fall into disrepair. During the Second World War, it was used as a hospital, and under the post-war communist regime, it operated as a restaurant. By 1990, it had become so run down that it was too expensive to maintain, and it’s been closed ever since.

Christ of the Abyss at San Fruttuoso, Italy

Christ of the Abyss at San Fruttuoso, Italy

Photo Credit: imgur.com

This bronze statue was purposely abandoned, placed in the Mediterranean Sea in 1954, near the spot where Dario Gonzatti, the first Italian to use SCUBA gear, died in 1947.

Chateau Miranda, Celles, Belgium

Château Miranda

Photo Credit: proj3ctm4yh3m

Miranda Castle once served as a summer home for children who could not be cared for by their parents. Also known by the name Noisy Castle, the incredible mansion remained a children’s recreation site until 1980. After becoming too expensive to maintain, it was abandoned in 1991.